I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min.
The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps)
The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where
you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to
know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- Café Morrison,
Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That was the time when anything new that
would come up in GK or defence colony would warrant a try and a review.
This was much before Haus Khas Village came in
where some place or the other will have some ladies’ night, but I also miss
sitting in the balcony of Kaffeine in Haus Khas Village and singing to ‘Yeh jo
halka halka surur hai’.
I miss the busy Delhi Metro and looking up for the time for the next metro and that joy when you find one right on time. The permutation and combinations on if you let this one go, the next one could be slightly empty. Once inside I would look towards the corner if by some chance any of the two ladies seat in the corner is empty, I miss how I would know the stations just by looking outside the window (yellow and purple lines only) and how I would get up just after we cross Jangpura and the dark tunnel knowing I have reached home- the familiar rickshaw pullers waiting to take me home just before I take a masala corn with extra nimbu from the roadside vendor.
I miss the Wednesday deals at PVR Anupama, morning deals at
PVR Priya and of course my own 3CS. This was the time when Yo China was the place to
go for Chinese food and of course there is Daitchi in South Ex-2 that lasted
the test of time. I miss the spicy red chutney of Avantika Momo corner at Lajpat Nagar.
I miss that music of Ansal Plaza and those celebratory
festive decorations of Select City Walk- this was much before I started going
to Ambience Vasant Kunj because it had the first Forever 21.
I miss how impromptu all our plans were then and no evenings
were free- if anything my best plan was to get a call from any of my closest
ones at North Campus and to take an auto (because I was often too lazy to take
the metro) and rush for a happy memorable evening. I remember negotiating for
110 INR which at that time was a huge amount.
On a cold evening in Hyderabad- I miss Delhi ki sardi!
Great write Alpaxee! 😊👍🏼
ReplyDelete