With
due respect to traditions,
History
and lived experiences,
The wheel
of the nation will move on
To
debate, question, re correct and understand
The
nation gives us the freedom.
Garuda
Purana, one of the eighteen puranas
Insists
on the importance of the eldest son performing the funeral rites,
However
the role of the daughter is nowhere mentioned
I highlight,
nowhere are daughters forbided to do so
It is
nowhere stated they cannot light the pyre
For,
the purana says it yield fruits that are equal to making Parikrama or
circumambulation of earth,
Such
pure acts, the interpreters insist, should only be performed by the son!
Hypocrites
that we are,
We
despise and shout slogans against the poor man who prefer a son,
Who
has killed three daughters already,
Foeticide
he is blamed of committing,
This
poor man is only scared of lying dead alone
With
no one to free his soul from his body,
With
no one to light the pyre.
With
due respect to traditions,
History
and lived experiences,
The wheel
of the nation will move on
To
debate, question, re correct and understand
The
nation gives us the freedom.
I
dream of a world,
Where
the eldest son or daughter, irrespective of their gender
Will
someday light the pyre!
I appreciate the way u perceive this tradition, what deserves more appreciation is the polite and appealing manner u have used to address the subject. I hope the message reaches the right end. luck...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much :)
Delete