Skip to main content

Turning 25 - A page from my personal diary!



Exactly a week to go and I will blow the 25th candle off my birthday cake. Like every year I started my count down three months ago but as the day is approaching I feel numb. I want to run away, sit on the beach and look back at the 25 years of my life (There is so much to think). And some of my darling friends have ensured that I do exactly that.

It is not the usual feeling; I did not feel any different turning 18 and getting the legal right to vote or completing my teens and turning 20. Today I fear that the excuse of being a child at heart will soon expire and become invalid. I will have to talk responsibly, act and walk my age. Recently I met two of my new born nieces and there was the bell ring that the next generation is here and you are not the youngest in the family anymore.

There are so many small things that I learnt sitting next to Aata (Grand dad) during his evening cup of tea and sleeping next to Aita (Grand Mom) as a kid. Traditions and culture were handed over; I learnt so many Saraswati bandanas, traditional stories (my favorite being Tejimola). I want to recap and re-learn to keep the values and the oral family history with me. However, there are so many things that I want to unlearn. I want to unlearn all the opinions (negative ones specially) that I have formed, I want to unlearn the caste habits which I grew up seeing, I want to unlearn the religious differences which I learnt from society.

At a very young age there was also a fire that grew within me, even though I vouch that I grew up in a family where there is no intentional gender discrimination and I am a super pampered girl of the family, I still felt the gender inequality in the wider society. I don’t want that fire to die.
I am a very careless human being. I feel bad recalling the list. There have been numerous Tiffin boxes, water bottles, school bags, head umbrella (which was very unique and different)  four wallets, one phone. I feel very guilty yet I do not know how to cure.  Over time, my parents and close ones have become strong to accept me and all my faults.

I want to cherish and realize how lucky a child I have been. I have never been stopped from pursuing anything that I want, thanks to all the hard work that my parents have put in and the argumentative mind that I am born with (tennis, art school, graphics, table tennis, swimming, French class and now recently Zumba) I have tried my luck at almost everything! I want to cherish the values that they have imbibed in me. They took me around the countries, made me wear the best of clothes but they knew where to tighten the hold. I was always accountable for almost every penny that I spent ( I know I have cribbed so much about it, yet somewhere I am happy that this taught me the value for money).

Ma has taught me all the other subjects in school but my interest in my favorite subject- I think I give Deta the credit for it.  He never taught me politics from books but we have had so many discussions over the history of political parties to the current affairs. If someday I do land up fulfilling what I now think as a bizarre dream of entering into politics, here lies the root of it.But there is a power in the tremendous faith that my mother shows and I believe in that power more than any supernatural powers. I am yet to capitalize on it and make the big jump.

There are so many things that I unknowingly learnt from the people who stepped into my life at various points of time. Friends who became close for few years and then the distance widened. Friends who were distant earlier but became close with time. There are people who are not in my life anymore and I need to gracefully accept that. There are also people who love me so dearly and I do not show but know and feel it. (my cousins, the mad little cousin sister, the best friend and few more!)

Keeping all this in mind, there is a fear on the way ahead. The interest and needs have changed from chocolates, movies and clothes to thinking if I should invest in a washing machine or a car. There are other worries of meeting the already declared yearly savings target. There is then this calculation of years, should I go ahead and dedicate five years to my PhD now? or should I gather some work experience and figure out where exactly I want to land.

Then there are concerns of putting on weight, is it the age or the junk food I am yet to confirm. I have also grown from a girl who used to eat only to live to someone who enjoys food and different cuisines (there are two very close friends who argue on the share of credit for making me taste and enjoy food, I give it to both of you equally!) I already saw one strand of grey hair; I hope it does not multiply now.

These are just the initial thoughts and there is so much more to cherish and think listening to the constant sound of waves hitting the shore with music in my ears and few pieces of fried fish and prawns in my hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- CafĂ© Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...