Skip to main content

Happy Birthday,best friend!

In the last 9-10 years that I know her, this will probably be the first birthday without her. 24th July feels weird as I am not doing any surprise planning. But on such rare days, you get the time to sit back and reflect. We aren’t perfect friends who just admire each other. We still fight and no, not discretely. We fight in parties, we fight in between concerts and we fight for the silliest of the reason.
Having said that, hers is always the first ‘I miss you’ message every time I go out of Delhi. We share a world of our own. Since the time we stepped out of our homes and started living on our own- we were never really ‘on our own’. We always had each other. We understood the world together, we formed opinions together, we learnt and un-learnt many things together (Thanks to the somewhat similar upbringing that we both had). And about the years when we were not together – we must have already talked more than once about each and every day of the 10 years before we met each other.
At the age of 17 when we first got the freedom to go shopping alone and that too in Delhi, we had each other. We developed a similar taste of choices; we learnt the value for money together. We are so intertwined and I realize this as I write this out that on many occasions we try fulfilling our innermost wishes through each other. If there is something that I really want to wear (neon days) but I know my complexion will not fit the bill- I make her wear it and in a similar way if there is something  that my ‘golupolu’ likes but she thinks will fit me better, she insists that I buy it.
And on those days when we go shopping without each other, there have been so many occasions that we have picked up two of the similar kind of stuff. We used to pick up two similar kinds of clip and rubber bands, kurtas and stoles. And when she went to Krishnagiri to the wooden toy making place- she came back and gifted me the biggest toy she bought.
There are many other things we imbibed from each other. I have to admit that I used to hate food. Her love for food, cuisines, chocolates was infectious and hence my weight! I did not step into any kitchen at all till I met her and she will talk about the lovely cakes that she can bake, dishes that she can cook and once when I went back home for my mom’s birthday- I asked her for the recipe of the simple vanilla cake (I remember asking for the number of eggs and other silly details) and after that- she taught me cheesecake and we went on trying all fancy stuff to giving birth to ‘Flavoured Fantasies’. I can write a separate blog on the amount of fun we have when we bake together. On a special night, we also tried making the cakebox (which took double the time than it took to bake the cake!)
Imbibing from each other does not end there. I always had a severe migraine problem and she has seen it throughout the past 10 years. She never had any headache related issue but she thinks when you are that close to a person even headaches can be infectious. Off late whenever she gets a headache, she thinks I passed that on to her and in my response I tell her that all the weight that I am putting on my thighs also has a similar theory. (Science is yet to prove any such phenomenon!)
There are few other departments where she is still trying to influence. She will keep advising me from time to time to apply a liner instead of a kajal. She also tried gifting me a lipstick, a foundation but seems like she has given up on me on that department and as I write this I remember that you were looking for a particular shade of white nail paint. I hope you got that!
Another unsaid but somewhat similar take was on travel. We both love travelling but felt hesitant to call up home for the money. It was only in the last one year that we both became somewhat economically independent and we started writing our travel diary together.  We have many fun memories of toilet papers, trekking and playing in the beach and we are yet to build many more. 
I have no particular name for this relationship. No, really. We are definitely far more than friends, way closer than family and way thicker than boyfriends! What makes this relation the most special one is that you can also act insensibly (being equal partners in crime) and plan a trip to Big Chill cakery anytime even in the middle of the night. Maybe, this is what is called best friendship!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- CafĂ© Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...