With pride, made the drawing of my national flag right,
Celebrated our Independence and Republic
Sang ‘Ae mere vatan’
and wrote new patriotic lyrics;
Shared a bond, right from the time I was born,
Like the mother and child; we shared unspoken words and
unexpressed emotion;
My mother encouraged me to speak up,
Even if I did not like the care she provided or the freedom
she gave me
We negotiated our difference of opinion;
For we are a family, we agreed on common settlement
Because every time I could speak up when I was sad or happy;
My love and responsibility multiplied towards my mother and family.
That love my friend should never come to question,
No journalist, no politician gets to define the scope of my
love for her
For we all play a different role,
And to the mother, neither one is more important than the
other.
She does not prefer her son who stays up to protect her;
More than the son, who is disabled and sits at home
She does not prefer her daughter who keeps fast for Navratri
More than the daughter who fasts for Ramzan,
Or the naughty one who does not fast at all.
She does not punish her grandchildren for breeding cattle;
Eating Biriyani, kheer and Payasam;
Or for being born in Aligarh instead of Mathura.
I can playfully fight with you, my brother; on who loves her
more;
For we all have different personalities and our own ways of
expressing
But I cannot question your love, for mamma has given you
equal rights too
And by questioning or calling anti-national
Will she love or prefer me to you?!
And if it is her who we are all trying to please;
Let’s ask every mother,
Will they prefer name-shaming in the name of mother love

Comments
Post a Comment