Skip to main content

Neighbourhood- an emotion that plays a huge role in our everyday!


This piece is based on my experience of living in three different locations that I have called home. In our fast-paced world with mobile jobs and newer and bigger opportunities that come knocking from any corner of the world, I find it difficult to imagine how my parents decided to build a home, a year before their marriage and still continue to live there. Newer trends of globalisation do not allow such luxury, I guess.
I have grown up in Guwahati, in a neighbourhood with people of the same religion, caste and family. The neighbourhood is tied together by the same festivals, religious ceremonies, social norms, cultural celebrations, food habits and some similar orthodox dos/don’ts that makes us upper caste. However, there is nostalgia attached to such bondings as well. I remember the grand-mother from right in-front of our house often teaching my mother religious norms and what to do/not do on certain cultural celebrations. Conversations/ get-togethers are often around such celebrations. Gossips are also around the same celebrations on who could keep the sanctity of the celebrations going and who faulted some of it. As a kid, I remember going door to door to distribute the offerings of the religious celebration only because we all follow the same.
However, these rituals kept the neighbourhood together. At least when we would go out of town, people would come enquiring why they have not seen us for a while. One of my most memorable day which I enjoyed a lot was when almost the entire neighbourhood visited us, post my class 10 results. Distributing sweets for good results was also a happy thing to do back then. I valued these relations only after I moved out of Guwahati.
My next ten crucial years of life, when I learnt so many things on my own- the age of 18-28 I spent in the next neighbourhood of uptown South Delhi. The first few years of this neighbourhood was marked by absolute apathy. I did not know who my neighbours were and they did not know me either. I have to agree that I quite enjoyed that status during my early twenties. I was one in the crowd, no one knew me or my results – I could do anything, wear anything, be anyone without any judgemental eyes and that felt like freedom. I adjusted well to this setting.
But the years that followed the initial years were bitter. As high-end as South Delhi sounds, the use of slang and the rude vocabulary is also another feather on the crown. I adjusted to this as well. Unknowingly, I also became rude and argumentative. There was a constant fear that anyone would cheat on you or take advantage of you if you do not play strong or fight back. Arguments and fights with neighbours/ among neighbours became a normal sight. Unknowingly, I would move in and out of home with creases on my forehead and a frown on my face. Ten growing up years of my life and I did not make a single friend in the neighbourhood apart from the vegetable vendors, the milk man and the iron-man. I had no emotions with the neighbourhood which made shifting out of it so much easier or in-fact a much needed breather.
 I cant help connect this apathy to the death of one of my favourite development economics teacher who lived in South Delhi as well. He lived alone and his death was realised only 1-2 days later when his house help knocked on the door. These made me value my Guwahati neighbours who all connect/ speak across the windows or streets almost every day.
I also spent two months in the US and I was surprised in the first few days to find so many smiling faces look towards me. Everyone smiles at everyone there, it made me realise how I forgot to smile living in Delhi. Although these smiles would not mean that they would come enquiring about me if they did not see me but still the smiles made the place feel very friendly.
Now, I recently moved to Hyderabad two months back and this is the third home that I am trying to make. We have found an apartment with many common facilities for sports and get-togethers. We have been regularly playing and meeting some of the people for two months every day and I already feel there are so many friendly faces around. This time we are not connected by caste or religion, but most of the connections that we have developed so far are through sports and leisure activities.
I slipped in the Badminton court yesterday and I took complete rest today. There were 7-8 pings and messages from different neighbours enquiring about my foot and this makes everything feel so warm and wonderful- maybe something I have always missed. It is too early to comment as this is just the beginning but lets just say I never had so many neighbours in my contact list ever before.
Neighbours who you see every day, I feel play a huge role in your everyday emotional health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- CafĂ© Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...