Skip to main content

I have been a part of the narrative too! #BoisLockerRoom


In a long post-dinner discussion with a very close friend about the boy’s locker room, I wanted to understand more about his inhibitions with the issue and as I heard him speak, I learnt a lot about other dimensions about the issue that I feel require a voice.

He thinks that many of us posting about the boys locker room should be guilty of having been actively or silently involved in similar situations that we call out today as the root cause of such behavior. I understood his inhibitions.

We all must have been a part of such jokes or discussion at some point or the other. ‘A casual Google search for Whatsapp wife jokes is an indication of how popular these are, throwing up about 34,40,000 search results of all variants. Jokes in English, Hindi, other Indian languages, image jokes, ‘veg’ jokes, ‘non veg’ jokes, all available to pick and choose from’.

Calling out anyone is not easy. Calling out might involve breaking relations, breaking families, legal hardships, economic burden and most importantly might add to the already existing mental burden deteriorating the mental and physical well-being of a person. Many of us have probably gulped down many such similar situations and have probably not called out in the same situations that we mention today. The message behind many of us posting about the locker room is not to say we are right and you are wrong, it is to say that we are very familiar to this situation as we have been or are still involved in many of these misogynist groups and conversations- although that means that we have been the quiet member too. However, the first step is to acknowledge that this is the problem and that we are a part of it as well.

The reason why this issue ‘trended’ in social media and was taken up and discussed in so many platforms was because the discomfort we felt or feel and the anger within are striking chords with many others and therefore there is the uproar. However, that does not mean that we have not been a part of the narrative that has led to the increase in violence against women and girls.

Many of my girlfriends jumped the gun to say we never discuss boys and their private parts in girls group. However, girls do discuss girls and objectify their figures. This is because we live in a patriarchal society where both men and women objectify women’s body more than men, where both men and women use slangs which mostly de-value women.

I remember talking about beautiful girls with my friends who are boys, helping my cousin brother flirt, secretly giving/ getting lanline numbers of others without consent, when SMS packs became the in-thing we exchanged so many jokes (most jokes must have had some or the other misogynist connotation) and dancing to so many item numbers- the meaning of most of which is deeply problematic. I did what I did because that was the environment I lived in and I grew up in. I thought my actions to be ‘harmless’.

Just like 60% men who were surveyed by Oxfam India in the states of northern India thinks stalking is harmless. They must have grown up in environment where they have seen other men and boys do it, Bollywood movies promote and glorify it, there could be peer pressure as well. All of these make actions like ‘stalking’ look normal and harmless and we often fail to see the long term consequences of such behavior.

But there are many other situations where we still keep quiet- maybe we still keep quiet in our family groups where misogynist jokes are shared in the fear of breaking relations, maybe many of us were reminded of that colleague, friend, teacher who made us feel uncomfortable  but we did not speak up during the me too movement. Maybe many of us still live with such people in the family who remind us of childhood horror but we are yet to speak up. Unfortunately, while building the narrative we cannot blame these people who have not or are yet to speak up or blame someone who has just spoken about issues of long past.

When, where and how one would be comfortable to speak and call out depends upon the individual but what we can however do is make an environment where it is easy to speak up. When there is an uproar like this, many people who have been quiet finds the space to say- me too. If you discuss these issues in the family it is more likely that anyone in a similar uncomfortable situation will speak up and that is how and where we can bring long-term changes.

Therefore, the need of the hour right now is to engage in dialogue and discussion. The need is for each of us to reflect on how we have contributed to this narrative. The need is to have an enabling environment where anyone feeling uncomfortable can speak up and is assured to be heard. The need is to understand how such locked up anger might come out in various forms- the quickest being social media uproar.

However, the focus should not be on the punishment. This is because there is a difference when I understand something with reason and develop my own reasons to do or not do something as compared to not doing something in the fear of punishment. The latter often has no value to add. It is similar to doing Maths out of your own interest or pretending to do Maths in the fear of your parents stick. Research shows that fear does not go a long way. Fear might even escalate the problem like fear might create anger and anger might do more harm than good. Fear of legal punishment might also prevent many close relatives from speaking up. In other words, Nirbhaya’s rapists were hanged but that did not have any effect on the number of rapes reported in the country post that.

This is especially important for parents to understand as many might choose the route to be stern and strict however, what is really recommended with all genders, with all age groups is dialogue and discussion. And I would like to start this discussion by admitting to my friend and others that I have been part of building this narrative too.

In the Me too movement, the survivors called out Me-too, I feel now it is time for all of us to acknowledge that we are contributors to the increase in violence against women as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- Café Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...