Skip to main content

Navratri special- pages from my diary!

There is a growing resentment within me and even after knowing that it is created by the government, it still feels very strong.
Living in the Northern part of the country and having grown up in the North-East, I love my chicken, fish and mutton. Because I was born to a Brahmin family thankfully, pork is not one of my favorite meat. However, I equally like all the vegetarian preparations that most of my friends have to offer or relish on. Most of my favorite lunch boxes (yes, Arpita and Anushree I am talking about you guys here!) from college and work are vegetarian and I can still die for them.
As someone not with a voracious appetite, if I am the only non-vegetarian in the room, I will always go and enjoy the vegetarian dishes that my friends would have and up until now I was never conscious about this fact. It is only in the recent days, in the growing political scenario of orange uniform and meat ban that I have become protective of my right to my choice. My diet, my culture somewhere feels threatened. When you are in minority in terms of your choice and people order all vegetarian food without asking, I silently hope that my friends are not growing intolerant as well. When I hear the radio shout from UP to CP, Janata ki party; I feel threatened (of course in more ways than one!)
Having lived for 10 years in Delhi, I never had any problem with Navratri. I probably unconsciously had vegetarian food in the hostel and the PG during Navratri as well. It is only in this year when anyone gives me a raised eyebrow that I feel the need to clarify and say it aloud that ‘Yes, I have non-vegetarian even during Navratri and if you are following your culture, I am following mine.’ Did I sound intolerant there? Is there a divide created when I said ‘you’ and ‘I’? I have also started judging the huge rush and all the people who line up at Haldiram’s just to enjoy their Navratri special thali.
Needless to say that we all come from different cultures and have different upbringings, and when I say different culture- I mean food culture as well. I have grown up in the valley of Brahmaputra and in my hometown, fish is a daily meal. When I fell sick- my mother gave me plain chicken soup. When there is a festival or ceremony even in the temples- we are given mutton as a part of the ‘prasad’. So meat becomes a staple diet for me, like maybe Roti for you which we have once in a week or month. As the constitution (which I know is not always respected in today’s era) gives me the right to move freely and reside in any part of the country, here I am sitting in the capital of the country and feeling threatened and hoping that I do not fall sick next time I visit UP.

The sad part about this is, I realize that maybe my angst is created by an external body, that maybe by voicing my concern here I am giving them a taste of victory of exactly what they wanted to create, maybe I am showing that I am vulnerable to the ruling party who will preside over both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha now, that maybe and just maybe even after being aware of all of this- I feel threatened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- CafĂ© Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...