A birthday card is something, that I have made all these 20 years for my Mom, Dad and on their anniversary. Being born to creative parents that is the only time I get to show them how much of their gene I carry. As a little girl, I remember those fun times with Dad when we sat down to make a card and he would amaze me with different creative designs. I remember how much fun we had with colours and how much we fought on which colours to use. I remember those Sundays specially when there is a birthday coming up in the family he would teach me different designs using scale, thread, brush and so many more. I also remember how irritated Mom used to get when we dirtied the place but eventually she would always calm down smiling at the outcome.
MAD series on the television set gave me a lot of ideas too and I also tried experimenting with those. That particular summer,I was so bored sitting at home that I wanted to try making candles, I thought of different designs and I was pre-occupied thinking whom to gift what. As I was enjoying making those, one side of my mind kept thinking on the lines of my passion, those unheard voices.
By now I have probably grown into a believer that if there is something you want with a pure heart, God sends it out to you and you need to see the chance and grab it. My relatives kept coming that summer and occasionally I gifted them with my candles. Sudddenly, my uncle who is the current president of Rotary Club , Guwahati came up with the idea of teaching those under priviledged students the skill of candle making.
He struck the right chords within me and I kept thinking the entire night. But somehow due to some economic and situational problems I could not teach them candle making instead we planned to organise a 3 day summer camp for the under priviledged children.
There on the first day, we invited a girl to teach the kids dance and drama and the joy on their faces were worth capturing. On the second day, since we could not organise the candle making ,I instead taught them card making. It was a pleasure working with them and again I cannot describe the satisfaction and the happiness I felt within me. Their eagerness to learn and how they promised me to go back and make a card for their mom, simply left me smiling.
They came up with great results and I am still thinking to talk to Rotary Club to hold another such event so that they better up this time and probably we can include Candle making too and start selling them on their names giving back the economic support to their home.They had great ideas and the vibrant colours they used, reflected their inner self.
On the third day, we organised a medical camp for a free health check up of these children and this is how the three day summer camp came to an end.
Deep within i am still trying to figure out the next plans and I loved working with them so much that teaching them candle making someday, is definately on my agenda!
| The colorful cards they came up with |
It was so much fun working with these naughty little kids!
| The vibrant colours that they used |
| painted their imagination down. |
![]() |
| I will teach them candle making soon! |

Comments
Post a Comment