Loafing around most of my time at home, constantly blabbering non sense all the time, I strike a great chord with the girl at my place, I call her my friend and one really close to me as she sees me in all my moods; sad, happy, angry or crazy.
Staying up late hours at night in the pretext of studying I mostly land up completing stages in Angry Birds or fighting with Gravity Guy, and on one such day when I completed Gravity Guy, I felt myself gravity less and let out a sudden shriek of joy. Without realizing it was 2 am in the morning I disturbed her in her sleep.
She jumped up from a bad dream, not being able to go back to sleep again, we both started talking. Night time is anyway a time when emotions are the weakest, what I did not know was I was not the only one who adhered to such a theory. The girl who smiled with me in the broad day light also felt the same and she slowly started speaking,uncovering her life.
She started asking me if I knew what was love or how would I choose someone I would marry? Not know the exact emotions that I was going through at that point and after a quick smile to myself I gave her an unconvincing NO, the tone of which she probably did not realize. Finding the second question a little difficult to explain I cut it short, saying ma deta would probably be the right person to decide for me.
But then she gave the conversation a different turn. In a shivering voice she started uncovering her life. She blamed it all on luck, not being totally convinced I asked her to explain.She also wanted her parents to decide her groom for her. But at a tender age of 16 when her mother left her at her sister's place, she was raped by a 35 year old man. She screamed and shouted, gathering the entire community around her but not having a platform to voice her opinion or rather not knowing where to go, the community only thought about the image of the man and without her consent and without even letting her mother know, they got her married. She got married to a 35 year old man who was a rapist.
Not being able to hold myself back I asked her, what made her sit through the marriage? The reply to which was, she thought who would marry a girl who was not a virgin. The sharp contrast of societies got me thinking.
Her life after marriage was also not peaceful, she was often beaten up by her drunk husband and thrown strong remarks at by her mother-in-law. Where I always had an image (which I mostly developed from bollywood flicks) of pregnancy being that sweet,pampered phase, she was beaten up and not given food to eat. On delivering her baby, she was sent back home without her baby in her lactating period. She was never again welcomed back to her in-laws place. She gave them what they required, a son.
Such stories, I thought only existed in sociology case studies. But the stark reality hit my face hard. I did not know that in the middle of Guwahati city, girls get forced to marry a rapist and such actions are directed and supported by the community. She is probably just one example of such a case and there must be many such voices unheard. In one of the largest democracy, they still wake up to scary dreams and only speak their heart out during the night.
Comments
Post a Comment