Skip to main content

Little drops of water


'Mamma I am coming home' was my status update on facebook, counting back days to go back home, summer vacation was finally there. It was probably one of those rare summer vacations when my parents did not plan out a trip for us, definately because their work load was sky high. They were struggling with one of their turn over projects, designing and building  'St. Marys provincial house' in Christian Basti, Guwahati.

Not getting enough time to spend with them at home, I decided to accompany them to their site one day. While sitting and talking to my mom and the sisters, I spotted kids at a distance. Inquisitively I asked the sisters and it was then when i learnt about Videsh. Videsh was an international NGO run by the sisters, and these kids visited them for one of their programmes where the under priviledged kids come every evening to the provincial house to learn and play.
On knowing this, I got interested and enthusiastically asked I if  could help them in any way.  I then got familiar with all the various ongoing programmes that Videsh was running and learnt that they needed teachers for their weekend classes organised at St. Marys High School,Guwahati.
The name St. Marys got me nostalgic. A sudden flash back to class 2 or 3. I remember how insecured we were on leaving our boxes or books inside the desk because every evening after our school was over, our seats were filled in by the under priviledged students. I remember wondering myself, if they celebrated their bithday everyday because they had no school uniform.
With mixed emotions, I immediately showed my interest in going and teaching them for their weekend classes. Walking inside St. Marys brought me all those innocent childhood memories, and then I walked to the sister in-charge and class 3 was the call.
Pre imagining my old classroom filled with 30-40 kids and thinking on my first few lines that I would deliver,I walked towads the class. A sudden reality struck me, they were no kids. My class had students of all age groups. I had to deal with  little 9 year old girls to women of 65. I loved the challenge and forgot all my pre planned speeches. Their eagerness to learn left me agaped.English language fascinated them and they told me they wanted to converse in english someday. I heard those unherad voices, I knew they too wanted to become someone. Even at the age of 50 they had the same level of enthusiasm to learn how to read and write.

I looked forward to every weekend and it was easy for me to say a 'no' to go out fishing to one of my most favourite family outing place, my grandads farmhouse. I knew they already had a special place within me. Struggling with the alphabets every weekend and learning little amount of grammar and math I loved the smile on their faces every weekend after their class. And that day, when the lady of 65 could write her name and she came up happily to thank me because now she would not ask anyone else to sign for her, I cannot describe the feeling of self satisfaction that I felt. Though it was nothing big that I did, an inner satisfaction filled me with joy, I taught someone to write her name, what a wonderful summer vacation i had!
And I lay there wondering how many such man and women are still waiting for the day, they learn to sign their name themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fading away

Are we forgetting one of our native industry? Pottery being an age old handicraft, the roots of whose date back to the indus valley civilization seems to be fading away. This very thought kept on disturbing me for quite some time when i finally decided to visit one of the pottery village in the outskirts of delhi called Kumhargram. Here, hundreds of potter families migrated during severe famine from Rajasthan in search for better living condition. Out  of the hundreds of families only a handful could climb a little high on their career lader and the rest remained deprived. Creativity is the life-line of the potters; their unique craftsmanship indicates the artistic manifestation of rural India. If implemented effectively, it could be a sustainable model of development that is artisan led is what got me thinking. Skilled potters have the potential throughout India for constituting a rich human resource base, and common clay, being one of the cheapest raw materials available, hold...

Delhi is an emotion!

I just read a nostalgic post on Mumbai and it reminded me of my Dilli, my Dilli which must have changed significantly in the last 2 years since I last visited, my Dilli which I cannot imagine dull and locked down- I am talking about the Dilli and of the time when it was so busy that it was difficult to find Autos  to return from Select City Walk to Lajpat Nagar- most autos would prefer going towards Qutub and refuse to take the U-turn and therefore you had to cross the road and stand on the other side for good 15-20 min. The next question would be if he would switch on the meter (much before Kejriwal made it compulsory) and after he agrees to constantly keep looking out if he is taking a longer turn ( much before Google Maps) The familiar smile of the guard at 4S Defence Colony where you feel home and the familiar vibe. I remember the time when it was cool to know the best places with ladies night- I still remember Tuesday- CafĂ© Morrison, Wednesday- Urban Pind, Thursday- TC. That...

Perspective, Ma'am!

A lot of my learning is from the didi who comes to my place to work. I genuinely look forward to the evening chat. It is a good way to come out of all the stress in your life otherwise and find similarities and dissimilarities in life and ponder. I come to know about the latest home delivery shop around the corner, the not-so-good uncle in the building and also about the flawed PDS system and how she is denied of her ration at times. Today was a dull day. I had a bad headache, fever and could not go to office. She came in the evening and sounded very depressed to see me. She told me ‘ In the last 5 years I have never seen you this sick’. The emotions in her eye made me want to hug her- various forms of love and ways of expressing it or maybe when you are sick you look for that extra bit of love and attention. What came after that left me stumped. She went about with her daily chores saying, you were looking so pretty in all your engagement pictures am sure ‘ tumhe nazar la...